WHAT IS A COMPULSIVE EATER?
A compulsive eater is a person who eats for emotional reasons rather than physical hunger. Feelings, past and present, cause a person distress. In order to deal with this pain, a compulsive eater turns to food. It is a way of taking care of yourself, motivated by family food rituals, old memories and habits. Food takes on additional meaning, representing comfort, strength, a belief it will solve problems and make a person feel better.
ARE YOU A COMPULSIVE EATER?
- Do you ever eat in secret?
- Do you eat when stressed or worried?
- Do you feel out of control around food, always dieting and/or bingeing?
- Do you repeatedly diet unsuccessfully, only to gain all the weight back?
- Do you feel food controls your life?
- Do you feel shame about your body?
- Do you continue to eat when full?
- Are you preoccupied with a desire to be thinner?
If you have answered yes to some or all of these questions, you are very likely a compulsive eater and Inner Voice can help you.
Inner Voice is a program that will help you change your eating behavior so you can feel more positive about yourself and more in control of your eating.
You will learn to:
- Eat more of what you want and stop when you are satisfied
- Care for yourself in a nurturing way rather than a punitive way
- Express your feelings without using food
- Gain new insights such as eating without guilt and learning not to binge
- Make peace with your body
WHAT WILL MY GOALS BE?
- Become aware of the differences between physical hunger and emotional hunger
- Understand the emotional reasons for compulsive eating and develop more effective methods of dealing with these emotions
- Eat only when physically hungry
- Learn to accept your body
- Feel more motivated to exercise
HOW WILL YOU REACH YOUR GOALS?
By paying attention to your inner voice, you will eventually learn your true signals of hunger and what you are hungry for. Inner Voice will teach you to distinguish between biological hunger and emotional hunger and give you direction toward fulfilling needs that you have filled with food.
Inner Voice provides you with support, either in individual sessions or group sessions, so you can find and sustain motivation to let go of food as your main comfort.
These groups are designed to teach you care for yourself as you learn from others how they do it. Opening up to learning more about trust, feelings, so you no longer silence yourself with food. Groups meet every other week for 1 1/2 hrs.
Individual therapy is available.
Fees will be discussed prior to your first session. Please call for a free telephone consultation to see if Inner Voice will be helpful to you.